Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Ancillary step by step


My digipak I made for one of my ancillary tasks was made on Photoshop and looks quite simple although was very complicated to make and includes many layers. On the first page at the top is the logo, I was unable to recover this from previous pictures so had to recreate it once again, this was made by using a font which I had downloaded that would look good and then I made the font black with a white outer glow, I then dropped a shadow and edited the shadow to look professional. For the main picture on the front I had to get two still images from the video, as I was unable to get a photo shoot with my actors. This was a bit fiddly but I managed to make something from nothing, merging the two pictures together then changing the layer style to luminosity making it black and white. I also added lots of effects to this image, including a stroke outline with a similar colour to the background so it’s barely visible, a white outer glow and also I dropped a shadow on it. The “PG” and “DVD” images were from the internet to make it look a bit more professional, images are not meant to be found from the internet but with these there was no other way I could get them so these were an exception. Same goes for the bar code image. The side strip text was just made using the same font as the logo but without any effects added to it, as I thought I needed some simplicity as well as complexity.

The image of the heart with the dog inside it, is the same image I created a while back for my CD cover draft which is also on my blog but I edited it by changing the layer style to luminosity to keep to the same style as the opposite picture, and then changed the opacity down to 50% so that I could write the text over the top of it, making it a background image.

The text used for the back page above the heart image was another downloaded image that I got at home and I added lots of effects to the text, such as inner shadow, stroke outline and dropped shadow. I made the text colour a similar one to that of the background but made sure it was still clearly visible. I then create a straight line to go inbetween the two sets of text, making it the same colour and put an outer glow on it.

The inner pages look very basic, although there is various editing skills used on Photoshop, the logo and text are the same as previous pages, although the CD holder was made using a circular shape inside another circular shape, once the second circle was made the first would disappear so this was a problem for me, but I just merged the two layers and then the first would reappear and then I put a grey stroke outline on them both, and changed the colour to a similar one to the background and changed the opacity so that the background colour would show a bit more.

For the four pictures, one of each band member, I changed the opacity down to 60%, put a black stroke outline of the thinnest line possible, and also put the layer style as “screen” so that they did not stand out too much, it made them blend in with the background a bit more. I also had to get a black line down the exact middle of the two pages, so I had to make a line going horizontally and check if it fitted the same on both sides, which was just a pure case of trial and error.

Magazine Advertisement

For my magazine advertisement I decided to stick to the same colours and layout as my digipak as the two should converge together well. I used another still image from the video of the lead singer singing, and made this picture to the majority of the size of the advertisement, leaving only a bit of background colour at the outsides. I then edited this picture by bringing the picture forward and adding a shadow, so it looks like its been framed. I then added an artistic filter and changed It about to make it look the best I could, I also had to change the opacity down to about 75% and changed the layer style to hard light. I then placed the logo image, which I had saved separately after recreating for my digipak, and put at the top of the advertisement, and then used the same text style as the digipak, as I said before I was trying to keep the two ancillaries as closely linked as possible. I was not permitted to use real music stores such as HMV so had to make my own. I made one up called Niall Smith Music, NSM so I created a little logo for it, using a downloaded font on my Photoshop and then put a stroke outline on and added a gradient text of a mixture of red and orange. I added some text saying “Their best work yet – NME.” I kept the same font style as the digipak to retain that link. I needed to add four stars but I couldn’t find a star shape on Photoshop so I went onto paint at home and drew a star shape and then put it onto the PSD and pasted the layer style another 3 times and then merged the layers and made the layer style the same as the above text. To finish it off I added two websites at the bottom and they fitted perfectly, one of which I made up and the other being their myspace page and I kept this font plain black because I tried having it the same as everything else and it didn’t look too good so I thought simple was the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment